Kalahasti temple collapse – Andhra government to rebuild Srikalahasti temple tower

May 27, 2010 (Hyderabad) – The ‘Rajagopuram’ towering entrance to the 15th century Srikalahasti temple in Chittoor district that collapsed Wednesday night will be rebuilt with the assistance of the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI), Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister K. Rosaiah announced Thursday. ‘We will approach the Archaeological Survey of India to rebuild the Rajagopuram in a scientific manner,’ Rosaiah told reporters here. Expressing his grief over the incident, he said an inquiry had already been ordered. ‘It is a matter which has to be looked into. I don’t have any ready made answers,’ he replied when asked if the negligence by the state’s endowments department had led to the collapse. The government has formed a committee of experts to probe the reasons for the collapse of the ancient tower. The temple’s 45-metre-tall Rajagopuram, which had recently developed cracks, caved in Wednesday night. Police said there was no loss of human life as all shops located near the structure had...